Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Small Steps

You know what's really sad? I can no longer read a newspaper or listen to the news without my heart breaking into a thousand pieces. I've never been someone who is super vocal about things, but today, I need to vent. So many things are happening in our world, and I'm tired of all the bad.

I'm tired of living in a free country, yet still not being able to go for a walk after the sun starts to set in my own neighborhood. I hate not being able to go places alone. I hate the fact that in a country that is supposed to be free, I am so limited because there has been a fear instilled into me as a girl. I hate that our society sees women as objects and not as human beings. You know why I hate that? Because 1: I have a brain. I am a person. I'm not stupid. It's offensive to be looked at when I go out in public sometimes. I can tell when someone notices me in a nice way, and I can also tell when they are being inappropriate and gross. I'm a pretty conservative person in the way I dress, and I still get stares and comments...So it's really not about what we wear, ladies...don't listen to the lies that say thats a reason. 2: How offensive is it to honest, kind men that we are taught to fear them? Our society is making all men out as monsters, and they are not. I have a younger brother, and you know what? He is the kindest, most loving person, and I hate that there could ever be a time where he is seen as a bad person just because he is a man.

This whole thing going on with the "swimming star" (I refuse to give him fame by saying his name) is a joke. It's saying that women really aren't valued. I can't imagine what it would be like to be sexually assaulted, because I am very lucky to have never been in that situation, but to the women who have been, the court system that took that particular case failed them.

I know men and women who have had their lived destroyed and pulled apart because of the wickedness of people, and to think that we are supposed to put our faith in a system that seems to be looking out for only one group of people is not helping anyone. I'm tired of looking at my teenage cousins and praying that they never find themselves in a situation where their dignity and self esteem is torn from them. I'm sick of hearing his name and seeing his face, but I'm also thankful for the good men who found him, and I am especially thankful for the life of the sweet woman who will be forever changed. I pray that she can find peace and healing, even though she was so awfully let down by the system that was put in place to protect her.

I know people who work in various areas of the justice system, and I'm thankful that I get to say that I absolutely think they are good people who do the right thing and I honestly would trust them with my life. Sadly though, I know the reality is that not every person working in the justice system has justice as their first priority. I hope that this is changed, but until then, all I can do is practice kindness. I will never understand why people do horrible things, but I can love the people who are hurting and broken. I may not be able to fix the whole country, but I can work on my neighborhood and my community. Lets just go show people they are loved and valued...small steps can lead to a great journey.

Wander Always.
{The Grounded Gypsy}


No comments:

Post a Comment