Friday, August 12, 2016

I've always been told that I'm very smart, and although that comment in itself is a great compliment, it is usually followed by something else. Most follow up statements are along the lines of "you're not living up to your full potential", or another backhanded remark about laziness. 
People are shocked when they learn that I didn't go to a four year college or that I don't have a budding career. 
I don't have a brain built for school. The thought of sitting in a lecture or reading a textbook makes me want to cry. Honestly, school was always overwhelming to me and caused a lot of anxiety. I lost confidence in myself when I did poorly, and no matter what I did, I could never find a way to get better. 
Studying was hard for me, and having to sit and listen to someone talk made my mind fall asleep. My notes were filled, cover to cover, with drawings. I know it seemed like I wasn't paying attention, but I retained more than even I thought I did. 
Outside of school, I truly love learning. I enjoy trying new things and going new places. I love reading, history, and art, but I don't have a linear mind. My train of thought is on a winding track that doesn't stop. My mind is always racing, even when it seems like it's not. It's hard for me to make decisions because I am in constant fear of making the wrong choice.
My head is constantly full of ideas, seeing life as a poetic work of art and trying to process it all, everyday...it's not something I can turn off. I love working, in no way am I not living up to my potential, I just don't know what it is. It's scary and overwhelming and honestly, my scattered and colorful mind is what helps me stay focused on what is important. I see potential around every corner, and picking one option is not how I work. I have people around me to encourage, push me, and help me make decisions, but I also need other people to know: telling a free spirit or creative thinker that they are lazy helps no one. You don't know what is going on in their minds. Just because you don't understand their potential does not mean that they are not meeting or exceeding it. I'm trying to figure life out, I'm not lazy. I'm stressed out, I'm not ignoring my potential, I'm just trying to find where I fit. 
Instead of judging my journey, encourage my in it, because like the wonderful Tolkin said, "Not all who wonder are lost..."

Keep wandering always...Adventure Awaits. 
{The Grounded Gypsy}



No comments:

Post a Comment